Vegetarian Delight! Festive Lemon Chickpea Muffins
Cupcake Makeover ! This recipe combining the flavor of Lemon with the health benefits of the chickpea, makes this new approach to a dessert truly healthy and unique. This muffin incorporates healthy fats and whole grains to create a version of the massively oversized, calorie-laden lemon muffin, found in most restaurants and bakeries.
Lemon and cardamom is a classic flavor pairing. The hints of ginger spice along side lemon, make these muffins fragrant and delicious.
Cooking and Preparation Tips:
A. Using puréed, canned chickpeas creates a very moist, tender muffin because the chickpea starch holds water so well.
B. The addition of ground almonds to the batter contributes a hearty nuttiness as well as healthy fats."
1 3/4 C chickpeas (1 15 oz. can), drained and rinsed
zest from two lemons
zest from one orange
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 T freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 C extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 C granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
2/3 C whole-wheat flour, sifted
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t ground cardamom
1/3 C ground almonds
2 egg whites
1 T ground almonds
1 1/2 t granulated sugar
1/4 t ground cardamom
Recipe Key: C = Cup – T = Tablespoon – t = teaspoon – g = gram
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line muffin tin with paper liners. Purée chickpeas in food processor until smooth. Add lemon and orange zest and juice, olive oil, sugar and egg yolks. Purée until smooth.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cardamom. Stir in chickpea mixture, then add ground almonds.
- Whisk egg whites until they hold semisoft peaks. Fold egg whites into batter. In small bowl, combine ground almonds, sugar and cardamom. Set aside.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin. You can use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to do this, but you'll only need to add a generous 1/4 cup of batter to each muffin cup. Sprinkle muffin batter with some of almond-sugar-cardamom mixture.
- Bake 12-13 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.
Nutrition Facts: 170 calories; 4 g protein; 23 g carbohydrate; 3 g fiber; 230 milligrams sodium; 1 g saturated fat; 1 g polyunsaturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat; 0 g trans fat; 31 mg cholesterol