Christmas Sweet Potato Soup
- 1/2 cup dried white beans, soaked overnight or 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), peeled and diced
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
Combine beans, potatoes, onion, celery, bay leaf, sage and rosemary in a medium pot with 7 cups water (if using canned beans, use only 5 cups water). Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until beans and potatoes are completely tender, 45 to 60 minutes (about 30 minutes if using canned). Discard bay leaf.
Purée soup using an upright or immersion blender, carefully blending in batches if necessary. Add warm water, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Per Serving: Serving size: about 1 cup, 120 calories (0 from fat), 60mg sodium, 25g carbohydrates, (7 g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 5g protein.